Saturday, May 10, 2014

School Presentations in and out of WMA 3

As a Watershed Ambassador, a crucial component of the service term is providing environmental education activities to local schools. Sometimes, we head out of our WMAs to assist other local Ambassadors or because of relationships we built with past connections. Whenever I am asked to give a presentation, I give an emphatic "yes" because I understand just how important it is to teach students of all ages the various aspects of the environment and what we can do to protect it.
A thank you card from a grateful student :)
As of the beginning of May 2014, I have conducted 40 presentations within WMA 3 and 25 presentations out of my WMA (mainly in WMA 4). I have presented for students as young as second grade up to college level classes at William Paterson University and Ramapo College. Communities that I have presented in include Ringwood, Oakland, Wanaque, Wayne, Pompton Lakes, Passaic, Clifton, and West Orange. 
 
Enviroscape Presentation at E.G. Hewitt Elementary, Ringwood

One opportunity to highlight is NJDEP Take Our Kids to Work Day in Trenton. I, along with several other Ambassadors, held workshops related to watershed and river health focusing on fish species. "Fashion a Fish" from Project Aquatic WILD and "Sum of the Parts" from Project WET were huge hits-- every kid and parent who attended had a great time! Moreover, we coordinated an outdoor table where we had live macroinvertebrate samples for kids to view. Many walked away from the table excitedly saying, "That was the coolest table here!" which made me extremely happy-- all is a day's service. :D
Presenting at SCMUA Earth Energy Fest, Lafayette
While the service term is winding down, there are still numerous presentations on my calendar as the average school year in New Jersey ends in late June. Much more to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment