Saturday, May 10, 2014

Volunteering with City Green

I can't say enough about this local organization which has quickly become a very meaningful component of my service term with NJWAP and my career thus far. 

City Green is a non-profit group focusing on building and supporting local agriculture in urban communities in northern New Jersey through education on public health, nutrition, and the environment. These efforts help promote social justice and environmental equality in local urban cities. For more on City Green's mission and vision, click here.
Raking in compost into garden beds at the Schultheis Farm :)
Through their Urban Agriculture intern program, I have assisted City Green in a variety of projects including but not limited to:
  • Go Green! Conference, an educational program for local middle school environmental club students on nutrition and environmental sciences
  • Seeding in trays and flats in their on-site greenhouse
  • Direct seeding and transitioning plants from trays to ground on the Schultheis Farm
  • Volunteer engagement during Wednesday Volunteering Days
  • Off-site garden maintenance at Rosa Parks Community Garden in Paterson
  • Harmony Project, environmental education program for local students (5/22 & 5/29)
  • Field Trips with local students (May 2014)
Weeding and rotating beds at Rosa Parks Community Garden, Paterson, NJ
These skills and experiences that I have been building with City Green are helping me prepare for my future in sustainable food systems research. Every member of City Green's staff has been nothing but friendly and helpful from Todd the Farm Manager to Claudia the Program Operations Manager. Executive Director Jennifer Papa was gracious enough to share her path with me when I interviewed her for my NJWAP career interview goal! I am looking forward to future events and volunteering with the organization. We are "growing strong" each and every day!

For more information on volunteering with City Green, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment