Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Commencement

LinkedIn Account
Contact: ambassador@passaiccountynj.org
973-569-4055 (office)  
Hello!

My name is Thalya Reyes (also known as Tilly), and I am the AmeriCorps New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) Watershed Ambassador (Yr 14) of Watershed Management Area (WMA) 3! After receiving fantastic advice from Jade Greene (Yr 13-- thanks!), I hope to utilize blog to record the significant events that have and will take place during my 2013-2014 term of service with the NJ Watershed Ambassadors Program (NJWAP). Please feel free to comment, ask questions, and give suggestions-- I am always open to change!

Here's a summary of my service description and duties:
  • Execute visual and biological stream assessments with parameters including:
    • Benthic macroinvertebrate collection and identification
    • Sedimentation
    • Streambank erosion
    • Channelization
    • Fluvial velocity, etc.
  • Host projects, workshops, and trainings in various fields including:
    • Rain gardens
    • Rain barrels
    • Stream cleanups
    • Park cleanups
    • Tree plantings, etc.
  • Conduct environmental presentations to K-12th, college, and community groups on:
    • Watershed stewardship
    • Water quality
    • Non-point source (NPS) pollution 
    • Water conservation
    • Ecosystem health, etc. 
Contact me about coming to your school or organization for FREE presentations, workshops, and trainings!

My environmental background:
  • Rowan University ('13) in Glassboro, NJ (Gloucester County)
  • Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Environmental Studies (summa cum laude)
  • Minors in Geographic Information Science (GIS) and Geography
  • Vice President of Rowan Environmental Action League (REAL), 2013
  • Awarded Rowan University Gold Medallion for Excellence in Environmental Studies 2013
  • Geospatial Research Lab intern (Department of Environment & Geography), 2012-2013 
  • Assessed water quality of four aquatic bodies on Glassboro campus utilizing temperature, pH, turbidity, and dissolved oxygen as Field Methods & Research Design course project, 2012 
  • Aided Gloucester Township (Camden County) Green Team in attaining Silver certification in Sustainable Jersey program; organized events, prepared audits & related documents (2011)
A little about me and my goals:
  • Raised in Passaic County, NJ
  • Snowboarding enthusiast
  • Fitness background
    • Formerly Group Fitness Instructor (Zumba, AFAA), Fitness Area Assistant
    • Enjoy running, hiking, rock climbing, sports conditioning, weight training, at-home workouts
  • Black belt (first degree) in Shotokan Karate
  • I enjoy being an environmental educator-- kids are great!
  • Pursuing my Master's degree in 2015; my research interest lies in the interconnectedness of food, forests, and water specifically in the fields of: 
    • Natural resources, forestry, sustainable food systems, agroforestry, watershed science & restoration, and food/water policy & law
  • I hope to eventually earn my Ph.D. 
Thank you very much for reading my introduction; I hope to hear from you! 


NJWAP Yr 14 Ambassadors (photo credit: Kathy Giordano)

No comments:

Post a Comment